(1) The right to form political parties is hereby guaranteed.
(2) Every citizen of Ghana of voting age has the right to join a political party.
(3) Subject to the provisions of this article, a political party is free to participate in shaping the political will of the people, to disseminate information on political ideas, social and economic programmes of a national character, and sponsor candidates for elections to any public office other than to District Assemblies or lower local government units.
(4) Every political party shall have a national character, and membership shall not be based on ethnic, religious, regional or other sectional divisions.
(5) The internal organization of a political party shall conform to democratic principles and its actions and purposes shall not contravene or be inconsistent with this Constitution or any other law.
(6) An organization shall not operate as a political party unless it is registered as such under the law for the time, being in force for the purpose.
(7) For purposes of registration, a prospective political party shall furnish the Electoral Commission with a copy of its Constitution and the names and addresses of its national officers; and shall satisfy the Commission that—
(a) there is ordinarily resident, or registered as a voter, in each district. of Ghana, at least one founding member of the party;
(b) the party has branches in all the regions of Ghana and is, in addition, organized in not less than two-thirds of the districts in each region; and
(c) the party's name, emblem, colour, motto or any other symbol has no ethnic, regional, religious or other sectional connotation or gives the appearance that its activities are confined only to a part of Ghana.
(8) A political party shall not have as a founding member, a leader or a member of its executive, a person who is not qualified to be elected as a member of Parliament or to hold any other public office.
(9) The members of the national executive committee of a political party shall be chosen from all the regions of Ghana.
(10) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, every citizen of voting age has the right to participate in political activity intended to influence the composition and policies of the Government.
(11) The States shall provide fair opportunity to all political parties to present their programmes to the public by ensuring equal access to the state-owned media.
(12) All presidential candidates shall be given the same amount of time and space on the state-owned media to present their programmes to the people.
(13) Every candidate for election to Parliament has the right to conduct his campaign freely and in accordance with law.
(14) Political parties shall be required by law—
(a) to declare to the public their revenues and assets and the sources of those revenues and assets; and
(b) to publish to the public annually their audited accounts.
(15) Only a citizen of Ghana may make a contribution or donation to a political party registered in Ghana.
(16) A member of an organization or interest group shall not be required to join a particular political party by virtue of his membership of the organization or group.
(17) Subject to the provisions of this Chapter, Parliament shall by law regulate the establishment and functioning of political parties.