(1) There shall be a Council of State to counsel the President in the performance of his functions.
(2) The Council of State shall consist of—
(a) the following persons appointed by the President in consultation with Parliament—
(i) one person who has previously held the office of Chief Justice;
(ii) one person who has previously held the office of Chief of Defence Staff of the Armed Forces of Ghana;
(iii) one person who has previously held the office of Inspector- General of Police;
(b) the President of the National House of Chiefs;
(c) one representative from each region of Ghana elected, in accordance with regulations made by the Electoral Commission under article 51 of this Constitution, by an electoral college comprising representatives from each of the districts in the region nominated by the District Assemblies in the region; and
(d) eleven other members appointed by the President.
(3) The Council of State shall elect a chairman from among its members.
(4) A member of the Council of State shall, at the first meeting of the Council which he attends, take and subscribe the oath of secrecy and the oath of a member of the Council of State set out in the Second Schedule to this Constitution.
(5) A member of the Council of State shall hold office until the end of the term of office of the President unless—
(a) that member resigns by writing signed by him and addressed to the President, or
(b) becomes permanently incapacitated; or
(c) is removed from office or dies.
(6) The appointment of a member of the Council of State may be terminated by the President on grounds of stated misbehaviour or of inability to perform his functions arising from infirmity of body or mind, and with the prior approval of Parliament.
(7) The Chairman and members of the Council of State shall be entitled to such allowances and privileges as may be determined in accordance with article 71 of this Constitution.
(8) The allowances and privileges of the Chairman and other members of the Council of State shall be charged on the Consolidated Fund and shall not be varied to their disadvantage while the hold office.